Re: LVM on raid10,f2 performance issues

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> Why is the command
>
>  blockdev --setra 65536 /dev/md0
>
> really needed? I think the kernel should set a reasonable default here.

The in-kernel default for a block device is 256 (128k) which is way too
low. the MD subsystems tries to be a bit smarter and assigns the md
device readahead according to the number of devices/raid level. For
streaming (i.e. file sever) these values are also too low. LVs can take
a readahead specification at creation time and use that, but this is
manual.

It is arguable what the typical workload is, but I would lean towards
big long linear reads (fileserver) vs short scattered ones (database).

The real solution to the problem was proposed a long time ago, and it
seems it got lost in the attic: http://lwn.net/Articles/155510/