Re: Performance question

All we know is that you use 2 disks and md.  This is like posting to a TCP/IP architecture group and saying you have a network connection and want performance advice.   Read up, supply full config info, run benchmarks, then ask specific questions.  GI=GO.
-----Original Message-----

From:  "Piergiorgio Sartor" <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx>
Subj:  Performance question
Date:  Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 am
Size:  874 bytes
To:  "linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I'll have to setup some machines with two HDs (each)
in order to get some redundancy.

Reading the MD features I noticed there are several
possibilities to create a mirror.
I was wondering which one offer the best perfomances
and/or what are the compromises to accept between
the different solutions.

One possibility is a classic RAID-1 mirror.
Another is a RAID-10 far.
There would also be the RAID-10 near, but I guess
this is equivalent to RAID-1.

Any suggestion on which method offers higher "speed"?
Or there are other possibilities with 2 HDs (keeping
the redundancy, of course)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

bye,

--