Re: trouble adding spare

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Max Waterman wrote:

Max Waterman wrote:

If that does not work, clean the drive out manually after removing it as a spare from the array:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdi bs=1M
This is taking forever
I stopped it after about half an hour, hoping that it had made garbage of whatever was the problem.

I then added it into the array and it worked as before.

However, it still wasn't added when I rebooted.

...but, there is something different. Now, when I --examine /dev/sdi, it gives output for the whole array including 2 spares, which is the end result I expect :

Active Devices : 6
Working Devices : 8
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 2

However, --detail /dev/md2 still denies /dev/sdi exists :

Active Devices : 6
Working Devices : 7
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 1

What's up?

Max.

The superblock is at the end of the disk for 0.90.00 superblocks, so you would need to write to end of the disk or just let dd clear out the entire disk. Honestly though that may not fix the root cause of the problem, we may need to wait for others on the list and/or Neil to check this one out. It seems very strange, can you post the regular output that people ask for so once they see your mail, they will have (hopefully) most of what they need to diagnose the problem.

1. mdadm -D /dev/mdX
2. cat /proc/mdstat
3. mdadm -Esvvv
4. uname -a