Re: Roadmap for md/raid ???

Neil Brown said:     (by the date of Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:10:49 +1100)

> - raid5->raid6 conversion.
>    This is also a fairly commonly asked for feature.

I can be one of the first ones to test that :)

In my raid5 home backup server I had two failures in one month.
First a SATA cable of one drive stopped working, and few weeks
later another drive died (hdc: DMA timeout error - ad infinitum,
and system stopped responding - trying to read that drive;
also smartctl was reporting errors constantly).

BTW: I thought that smartctl and mdadm were cooperating together to
find out about damaged drives, but apparently it's not the case.

Now I feel so uneasy now with this raid5, that I'm going to switch into
raid6 ASAP.