Re: mdadm cannot open devices

NeilBrown wrote:

This typically happens because /dev/sda and /dev/sdb have md superblocks
on them and mdadm attempts to assemble an array from those and in the
process tell the kernel to forget about the partitions.
Can you:

  blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda
  blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdb
  mdadm -E /dev/sda* /dev/sdb*

and report the result?

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply, but due to time constraints I have had to abandon this, although I would be interested in your comments on what I found after this my mail and before giving up.

The 2 1TB Seagate drives were taken directly from a 4 drive Windows Vista striped (RAID0) array - they have never had md RAID installed.

I discovered that for whatever reason /proc/partitions, although it showed entries for sda and sdb, it did not have entries for the partitions sda1 and sda2 and I guess this is why mdadm had trouble.

Thinking it might have been an fdisk limitation, I tried partitioning using parted - same result.

I then tried building using sda and sdb, instead of partitions and this time the mdadm errors were along the lines of "device busy" for both drives - even after rebooting.

At this point I gave up. The drives were attached to an Adaptec PCI SATA card, which along with 2 SATA drives on the onboard controller and a PCI-X SCSI adapter with 2 drives attached, seemed to cause much shuffling of sd devices during bootup, so I am wondering if this contributed.

Regards,

Richard