RE: Spread Spectrum (SSC) Enable or Disable?

is
> there any other 'benefit' to using SSC in relation to the comment of
> drives being close to one another?
>
> e.g., have studies been done looking at several raid arrays with ssc
> enabled vs. disabled and what / if any correlation can be made within
> respect to failure rates?
>
> Justin.

I can't imagine it having any positive effect.

SSC has to do with reducing overall electromagnetic emissions (EMI) for
FCC cert by
spreading around clock harmonics a few MHz.

All the drive vendors run reliability testing in the more expensive,
heavy-gauge metal
enclosures for a reason.  Torque/Vibration kills data, so they know they
need rigidity.
I view SSC as a cheat code that enables them to pass the FCC tests by
removing shielding
which will save them some money, and make a less reliable, more
error-prone enclosure.

I avoid any enclosure/RAID vendor that advertizes SSC as a requirement
(compliance/support
is different). This lets them get away with selling something a little
more flimsy,
therefore, less reliable, then  what they would normally have to sell to
meet FCC certs.

If I was in market for low-cost enclosures, I would see if they ran
their FCC compliance
testing with SSC enabled.  If they did, don't buy their enclosure.

David