Re: Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Brad Campbell wrote:

Iain Rauch wrote:
OK, so it sounds like my suspicions were correct - I have PCI/PCIe.

You say I would be better to use PCIe, but the card is PCI-X. Can I use
PCI-X in a PCIe slot?

These Marvell 7042 chips are great. Cheers Mark!!

You can use a PCI-X card in a PCI slot, but I believe you'll be disappointed with the results.

If you only need a couple of ports and have a PCIe 1x slot available, the SIL-3132 cards are available everywhere and are really pretty good.

Only use them with slow drives, when I had used my Velociraptors, I got around
the maximum bandwidth with 1 disk hooked to each PCI-e x1, when I ran tests
on two of the PCI-e x1 cards, it cut the BW in half.  They are not fast enough
to handle to fast disks.  The Startech card though is great and you can fully
saturate it-- to get all available bandwidth from the disks.