Re: RAID 6 recovery (it's not looking good)

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:29:30PM +0000, Iain Rauch wrote:
> > I'm still tired (now even more ;-) ). Just check again if /dev/sdu really
> > was the latest to fail and if so, clone this one.
> > I also suggest to reassemble it without an immediate raid-rebuild.
> > First check your data and only then add a new drives to the raid.
> > Once you start a raid-rebuild.
> > there is no way to go back. We recently also had the problem of three
> > failed disks  but we only could get back the data by not assembling the
> > array with the latest failed disk, but with the 2nd latest (don't ask why).
> >
> > So in short
> >
> > 1) clone disk
> >
> > 2) mdadm --assemble --force /dev/mdX /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 ... /dev/sdx1
> >
> > ===> Use only **22** devices here.
> >
> > 3) Mount and check data, maybe even a read-only fsck
> >
> > 4) Add two new disks.
> >

> > Hope it helps,
> > Bernd
>
> Well I cloned the disk and force started the array with 22 drives. I mounted
> the file system read-only and it did appear to be intact :)

I'm glad to hear that.

> The problem is I cloned the failed drive to a 1.5TB Seagate, and it has the
> freezing issue. After 12h of rebuilding (out of 50) that drive got kicked.
> I'm gonna see if updating the FW on the drive helps, but otherwise I'll just
> have to get another decent drive.
>
> Is there any way to have mdadm be more patient and not kick the drive, or
> let me put it back in and continue the rebuild of another drive? I don't
> believe the drive will operate for 50h straight.

I think this would continue the rebuild if you would use bitmaps. You may
add bitmaps by using "mdadm --grow --bitmap=internal /dev/mdX", but I'm not
sure if it will work on a degrade md device. At least it won't work during
rebuild phase.

Cheers,
Bernd