Re: upgrade advice

On 18/12/2008 16:43, Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, John Robinson wrote:
On 17/12/2008 15:30, David Lethe wrote:
The duty cycle makes a difference now, but wasn't a design point until
[...]
OK, off my soapbox ... back to work writing disk diagnostic software for
my OEM customers

I am going to print that message, frame it and hang it on the wall. (Including the bit I elided with ...)

I'll probably keep using desktop drives for domestic NAS, though.
I think it also depends on how often drives are used and what type of workloads they are exposed to, for a domestic NAS for mainly sequential file writes/reads, they will probably be OK-- I have a few SW RAID5's on desktop drives but I use them primarily as storage via rsync, once a week or month I am not constantly read/writing on them-- on a daily basis. Is that how you use your NAS as well? Or?

I have 2 scenarios. For myself, I've a big box I put together myself, with a P45-chipset mobo, a Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM (so far), a Supermicro hot-swap SATA enclosure and 3 1TB Samsungs in Linux RAID-5, which serves both my IT support work where I work from home (storing ISO images, running various Windows and Linux VMs mostly for testing/development) and my domestic NAS demands (MythTV server, SqueezeCenter, and backups of other PCs). It's on 24/7 but there's only me to make demands of it so it doesn't get very heavily exercised. I'll probably replace the current Samsungs (which have consecutive serial numbers) over time, even if they aren't failing, with others from other batches and other makes. I always recommend my business clients use enterprise drives in any central storage application (but it seems I don't take my own advice when it comes to myself).

I am also involved in an assisting capacity with a group of home and multiroom hifi folks, who need NASes for storing the music to stream to TwonkyMedia, SqueezeCenter etc. We like the ReadyNAS range (Linux RAID based), and have tried Seagate desktop and enterprise drives as well as the Samsung desktop drives. So far so good, no problems, and we like the Samsungs best so far, because they're quieter and have been cheaper. The ReadyNAS knows how to sleep, so desktop drives should be fine here as they'll be shut down when people aren't playing their hifi (though there's a bug in current versions of SqueezeCenter that stops the drives sleeping if your Duet remote's turned on) and they're rarely doing anything strenuous.

As always, I'd appreciate comments from people better informed than me!

Cheers,

John.

PS. Who mentioned big autochangers? Somebody did. Anyway, I just bought a Dell PowerVault 132T off eBay with an LTO-2 drive for next to nothing :-) so I shall have many happy hours backing up my 2TB array onto lots of tapes.