RE: upgrade advice

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 09:30 -0600, David Lethe wrote:
> [...]
Yeah i realize that this is really a useless thing. Im sure these people
have had the failures they speak of, but thats ofcourse totally useless
across series of disks, and ALL brands and series obviously will have
some disks that fail early, and someone is bound to get those..

> I should touch on firmware as well.  NCQ, TCQ, severety-1 bugs that can
> result in disks locking up or having catastrophic data loss?   They
> exist.  I won't break any NDAs, but even a firmware upgrade can have
> profound differences in your storage farm.   The firmware update release
> notes for many drives would scare the heck out of you, and make you
> wonder what motivated ABC company to ever release something, or for that
> matter, what motivated ABC company to not make something public and have
> a massive recall when certain bugs were found.   We've seen this happen
> in industry before with things like Seagate's stiction problem, NCQ
> bugs, IBM "deathstars", Hitachi recalls and so on.

Hmm.. you have kindof convinced me.. I should probably look at buying WD
RE2-GP then