Re: weird issues with raid1

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday December 15, neilb@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> >
>> > No matter how long I wait, until it is rebuilt, the bitmap on /dev/sda
>> > is always 100% dirty.
>> > If I --fail, --remove (twice) /dev/sda, and I re-add /dev/sdd1, it
>> > clearly uses the bitmap and re-syncs in under 1 second.
>>
>> Yes, there is a bug here.
>> When an array recovers on to a hot space it doesn't copy the bitmap
>> across.  That will only happen lazily as bits are updated.
>> I'm surprised I hadn't noticed that before, so they might be more to
>> this than I'm seeing at the moment.   But I definitely cannot find
>> code to copy the bitmap across.  I'll have to have a think about
>> that.
>
> There isn't a bug here, I was wrong.
>
> We don't update the bitmap on recovery until the recovery is
> complete.  Once it is complete we do (as you notice) update it all at
> once.
> This is correct behaviour because until the recovery is complete, the
> new device isn't really part of the array so the bitmap on it doesn't
> mean anything.  As soon as the array is flagged as 'InSync' we update
> the bitmap on it.

OK. Fair enough, except for some issues I've had with the bitmap /not/
getting updated at all, ever, on the replacement device. That's a
whole 'nother thread, though.

However, I would argue that it's *kinda* part of the array.

If I were rebuilding some huge array, and it was 99% done and some
issue developed (and was resolved), I would not want to start over.

How do you feel about copying over the bitmap right away and marking
all of the bits out-of-date, then letting the normal bitmappy stuff
work to our advantage?

--
Jon