Re: Help a Newbie on Linux-Raid 1

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, dturner wrote:

I am rather new to linux and decided to set up a system using linux raid on
centos 5.2  Being new I find some howtos easy to follow and I used one in
setting up the raid. All looked fine when I finished and everything was was
in order showing working raid and then I did a stupid thing and stopped the
machine to make sure each drive could boot. Stopping the machine between
drive swaps. THis all worked well then I configured the machine and a few
days latter I noticed that the raid was showing degraded on both drives.

Now being a newbie I am in a bind. The machine is still running and after
spending many hours configuring it, I do not want to screw it up so I look
to someone with lots more knowledge than I for help.

Please help with full command lines to solve this issue and get the raid
rebuilt as I do not want to screw anything up. I have included the
information on the system below. If anything else is needed please let me
know.

Many thanks in advance guys.....

Dan
Assuming nothing is bad with the other drive, you just need to add it back into the RAID-1 array (after you are done testing)

mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sda1
mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sda2

This will re-add the other drive partitions back into the raid1 array.

It will not re-add automatically if you disconnected one drive to test
the RAID-1 functionality.

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2
       ^^^^^^^^^
SCSI device sdb: drive cache: write back
sdb: sdb1 sdb2
       ^^^^^^^^^

Justin.