Re: status of raid 4/5 disk reduce

On Dec 11, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, John Robinson wrote:

But my 1U server only physically has room for 4 drives. It doesn't matter how many extra controllers I buy, I can't attach more drives.

You can use a temporary external eSATA enclosure, pvmove the data if you're using LVM, then take downtime when you exchange your new drives into the internal drive bays (or you could even move them one by one by hotremoving one drive from the eSATA enclosure into the internal drive bays.

What about on a Friday, one of his drives fails, but he doesn't have spare hardware? If he has enough freespace he can shrink the FS and array size, then reshape from 4 to 3 drives to regain parity for protection over the weekend.

If degrading an array multiple times to support expansion by replacing one drive at a time is acceptable practice, why is degrading once for array contraction frowned upon?