RE: Data integrity and RAID

My
> issue is that software RAID-1 does not check for or recover from data
> corruption unless a read or write to disk actually fails. Integrity is
> major concern for me, I need to know that all data going to and from
> disk is
> correct at all times.
>
> All advice and comments are welcomed.
> --
> in

A few things come to mind ...
1) Use Solaris w/ZFS instead of LINUX.   You can even put on target-mode
drivers and make this a SAN appliance or NAS box. Obviously this won't
work for you if you have application software you want to run on the
same machine, but just throwing it out.  ZFS supports n-Way mirroring.
2) Use disks that support BGMS.  This means late-generation Seagate SAS
disks (or SCSI or FC, just not SATA).  Then you can get software
(shameless plug here, but we have such a product for $90.) that runs
background media scans and repairs bad blocks 24x7 with near zero host
overhead.  Blocks that can't auto-repair will be reported, so you can
kick off a consistency repair once they are detected.  Many of the SATA
disks do have error detection/correction firmware, but their ability to
report specifics of problem and auto repair are extremely limited due to
fewer ECC bits and less sophisticated algorithms in the firmware).

Regards
David
david@xxxxxxxxxxxx