Re: Data integrity and RAID

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, peter.stevens wrote:

I'm looking for a software solution to help replace my existing raid hardware
setup. The hardware mimics RAID-1 (in that it has 3 mirrors), except for the
fact that on read all 3 mirrors are compared and possibly error corrected
before data is returned. I don't neccessarily need a RAID-1 solution, it
just seems closer to what I already have and also that it also can recover
from 2 simulateous disk failures.

So far I've played with a software RAID-1 array of USB flash drives. My
issue is that software RAID-1 does not check for or recover from data
corruption unless a read or write to disk actually fails. Integrity is a
major concern for me, I need to know that all data going to and from disk is
correct at all times.

All advice and comments are welcomed.
Well USB flash isn't a traditional disk that remaps bad sectors etc.. AFAIK md/raid will try and correct read-errors, but for write errors you have to trust the disks to do this for you, otherwise the bad disk will be kicked out of the array. If you need the bad write to be re-mapped elsewhere in the array you need a hw raid controller, 3ware, etc..

Justin.