Unable to eradicate previous version of device information, even with zero-superblock and dd

I've been trying to bring up a RAID10 device, and I'm having some difficulty with automatically-created device names.

mdadm version 2.5.6, Debian Etch.

With metadata=1.2 in my config file,

mdadm --create /dev/md/all --auto=p7 -n 4 --level=10 /dev/sd*2

This does seem to create a RAID array. I see that my /dev/md/ directory is populated with all1 through all7.

On reboot, however, I notice that there's a suddenly a /dev/md127 device. Confused, I attempted to start over many times, but I can't seem to create a non-"all" array and I can't seem to create a simple /dev/md/0 array.

Steps:

To eradicate all prior traces of md configuration, I issue these commands:

mdadm --stop /dev/md/all

which stops.

mdadm --zero-superblock  /dev/sd[each drive]2

I went further (after some trouble) and issued

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd[each drive]2 count=2M

I then issue:

rm /dev/md* /dev/md/*

The ARRAY information is commented out of the config file (mdadm.conf).

On reboot, I see that the devices /dev/md/all, /dev/md/all1, etc. have reappeared, along /dev/md127, /dev/md_127, and /dev/md_d127.

This is very, very puzzling.

Well, I thought I could work around this. I issued

mdadm --create /dev/md/all

with the same paramters as above. I can use cfdisk and fdisk (either one) to create two partitions, /dev/md/all1 and /dev/md/all2.

However,

mkfs.reiserfs /dev/md/all1

claims that the /dev/md/all1 has "no such device or address."

ls -l /dev/md/all gives

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 8129 (date) /dev/md/all1

QUESTIONS:

1. If I create a device called /dev/md/all, should I expect that mdadm will create a device called /dev/md/127, and that mdadm --detail --scan will report it as /dev/md127 or something similar?

2. How can I completely eradicate all traces of previous work, given that zero-superblock and dd on the drives that make up the array doesn't seem to erase previous information?

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@xxxxxxxxx * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "If you're going to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"