Re: Raid over 48 disks ... for real now

Quoting Norman Elton <normelton@xxxxxxxxx>:

I posed the question a few weeks ago about how to best accommodate
software RAID over an array of 48 disks (a Sun X4500 server, a.k.a.
Thumper). I appreciate all the suggestions.

Well, the hardware is here. It is indeed six Marvell 88SX6081 SATA
controllers, each with eight 1TB drives, for a total raw storage of
48TB. I must admit, it's quite impressive. And loud. More information
about the hardware is available online...

http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/arch-wp.pdf

It came loaded with Solaris, configured with ZFS. Things seemed to
work fine. I did not do any benchmarks, but I can revert to that
configuration if necessary.

Now I've loaded RHEL onto the box. For a first-shot, I've created one
RAID-5 array (+ 1 spare) on each of the controllers, then used LVM to
create a VolGroup across the arrays.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this space. So far,
I've tested mke2fs on a 1TB and a 5TB LogVol.

I wish RHEL would support XFS/ZFS, but for now, I'm stuck with ext3.
Am I better off sticking with relatively small partitions (2-5 TB), or
should I crank up the block size and go for one big partition?

Impressive system. I'm curious to what the storage drives look like and how they attach to the server with that many disks? Sounds like you have some time to play around before shoving it into production.
I wonder how long it would take to run an fsck on one large filesystem?

Cheers,
Mike
-