Re: The effects of multiple layers of block drivers

On Thursday January 10, evoltech@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am starting to dig into the Block subsystem to try and uncover the
> reason for some data I lost recently.  My situation is that I have
> multiple block drivers on top of each other and am wondering how the
> effectss of a raid 5 rebuild would affect the block devices above it.

It should "just work" - no surprises.  raid5 is just a block device
like any other.  When doing a rebuild it might be a bit slower, but
that is all.

> The layers are raid 5 -> lvm -> cryptoloop.  It seems that after the
> raid 5 device was rebuilt by adding in a new disk, that the cryptoloop
> doesn't have a valid ext3 partition on it.

There was a difference of opinion between raid5 and dm-crypt which
could cause some corruption.
What kernel version are you using, and are you using dm-crypt or loop
(e..g losetup) with encryption?

> As a raid device re-builds is there ant rearranging of sectors or
> corresponding blocks that would effect another block device on top of it?

No.

NeilBrown
-