this goes go my megaraid probs too was: Re: md rotates RAID5 spare at boot

Jed Davidow wrote:
I'm sorry- is this an inappropriate list to ask for help? There seemed to be a fair amount of that when I searched the archives, but I don't want to bug developers with my problems!

Please let me know if I should find another place to ask for help (and please let me know where that might be!).

I could also use help with my mega-raid 150 question. Don't know if I asked it wrong or it was the color shirt I was wearing. I am unfortunately running with such a dearth of knowledge on the topic that I don't really know the right questions to ask when diagnosing a performance problem. All I know is that there's very little documentation on this card, is even less documentation on the commandline tool to access/control the card and if it makes the most sense, I am perfectly willing to deep six the card on eBay and pick up a couple of reasonable speed serial ATA controller cards in its stead.

the only reason I want to try and learn more about the hardware raid is because the problems I'm experiencing with my virtual machines on this platform mimic problems a customer of mine is experiencing and if I can fix them just by changing how the raid controller uses the discs, then that is a huge win. Personally, I think it's something a little deeper because VMware server seems to go out to lunch whenever there is a backup in the disk I/O queue. I'm seriously thinking about picking up esx as soon as the budget allows.

I just need some good solid advice on what path I should take.

---eric

--
Speech-recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct some.
-