Re: 2.6.24-rc6 reproducible raid5 hang

On Dec 29, 2007 1:58 PM, dean gaudet <dean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > On Dec 29, 2007 9:48 AM, dean gaudet <dean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > hmm bummer, i'm doing another test (rsync 3.5M inodes from another box) on
> > > the same 64k chunk array and had raised the stripe_cache_size to 1024...
> > > and got a hang.  this time i grabbed stripe_cache_active before bumping
> > > the size again -- it was only 905 active.  as i recall the bug we were
> > > debugging a year+ ago the active was at the size when it would hang.  so
> > > this is probably something new.
> >
> > I believe I am seeing the same issue and am trying to track down
> > whether XFS is doing something unexpected, i.e. I have not been able
> > to reproduce the problem with EXT3.  MD tries to increase throughput
> > by letting some stripe work build up in batches.  It looks like every
> > time your system has hung it has been in the 'inactive_blocked' state
> > i.e. > 3/4 of stripes active.  This state should automatically
> > clear...
>
> cool, glad you can reproduce it :)
>
> i have a bit more data... i'm seeing the same problem on debian's
> 2.6.22-3-amd64 kernel, so it's not new in 2.6.24.

This is just brainstorming at this point, but it looks like xfs can
submit more requests in the bi_end_io path such that it can lock
itself out of the RAID array.  The sequence that concerns me is:

return_io->xfs_buf_end_io->xfs_buf_io_end->xfs_buf_iodone_work->xfs_buf_iorequest->make_request-><hang>

I need verify whether this path is actually triggering, but if we are
in an inactive_blocked condition this new request will be put on a
wait queue and we'll never get to the release_stripe() call after
return_io().  It would be interesting to see if this is new XFS
behavior in recent kernels.

--
Dan
-