Re: raid5 grow reshaping speed is unchangeable

>all
>have
>it to
>>
>>Are you running a non-standard /sys/block/md5/md/stripe_cache_size?
>>
>>I found when running a kernel of about that vintage on FC6 (which I
>>guess became RHEL5), that with a stripe_cache_size of 16384, resyncs
>
>>dropped down to about the speed you are seeing.
>>
>>This changed back to more normal speeds with a later kernel, but I
>do
>>not recall which.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard

You are right, Richard.  RHEL5 had a stripe_cache_size of 256 when
the reshape began.  I increased it to 1024 and the reshape speed
doubled to 4500K/s.  I did not see any increase in memory usage.  I
tried 2048 and then 4096 but saw no difference in speed.

The reshape finished and the array is back online.  mdadm works very
well, but I would like to better understand how it works.  For
instance, the mdadm man page says a backup-file is necessary to grow
a RAID5, but this does not appear necessary now.  Anyway, it's a
wonderful tool.

-