Re: On the subject of RAID-6 corruption recovery

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
I got a private email a while ago from Thiemo Nagel claiming that some of the conclusions in my RAID-6 paper was incorrect. This was combined with a "proof" which was plain wrong, and could easily be disproven using basic enthropy accounting (i.e. how much information is around to play with.)

However, it did cause me to clarify the text portion a little bit. In particular, *in practice* in may be possible to *probabilistically* detect multidisk corruption. Probabilistic detection means that the detection is not guaranteed, but it can be taken advantage of opportunistically.

If this means that there can be no false positives for multidisk corruption but may be false negatives, fine. If it means something else, please restate one more time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

-