Re: Raid over 48 disks

Guy Watkins wrote:
} -----Original Message-----
} From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-raid-
} owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brendan Conoboy
} Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:36 PM
} To: Norman Elton
} Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
} Subject: Re: Raid over 48 disks
} } Norman Elton wrote:
} > We're investigating the possibility of running Linux (RHEL) on top of
} > Sun's X4500 Thumper box:
} >
} > http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/
} } Neat- 6 8 port SATA controllers! It'll be worth checking to be sure
} each controller has equal bandwidth.  If some controllers are on slower
} buses than others you may want to consider that and balance the md
} device layout.

Assuming the 6 controllers are equal, I would make 3 16 disk RAID6 arrays
using 2 disks from each controller.  That way any 1 controller can fail and
your system will still be running.  6 disks will be used for redundancy.

Or 6 8 disk RAID6 arrays using 1 disk from each controller).  That way any 2
controllers can fail and your system will still be running.  12 disks will
be used for redundancy.  Might be too excessive!

Combine them into a RAID0 array.

Guy
Sounds interesting!

Just out of interest, whats stopping you from using Solaris?

Though, I'm curious how md will compare to ZFS performance wise. There is some interesting configuration info / advice for Solaris here: http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Configuration_Guide esp for the X4500.

Russell
-