Re: problem with software raid1 on 2.6.22.10: check/rebuild hangs

Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2007 04:00 schrieb Neil Brown:
> On Monday December 3, wolfgang.walter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > with kernel 2.6.22.10 checking a raid1 or rebuilding ist does not work on
> > one of our machines. After a short time the rebuild/check does not make
> > progress any more . Processes which then access the filesystems on those
> > raids are blocked.
> >
> > Nothing gets logged. Access to other filesystems works fine.
> >
> > If we boot 2.6.17.10 (the kernel we used befor upgrading to 2.6.22) the
> > raids the check/rebuild is done without any problems.
>
> Sounds like a driver problem.
> Your symptoms are completely consistent with a request being submitted
> to the underlying device, and that request never completing.
>
> What controller runs your drives for you.  You should probably report
> the problem to the relevant maintainer.

3ware Inc 9xxx-series SATA-RAID.

There are no problems with normal operation. And when those raids stop to work
all other disks on the same controller still work.

And I don't see problems when reading from several disk in parallel.

But this doesn't mean its not the driver, of course.

> Do you compile your own kernels?

Yes.

> Would you be comfortable using "git
> bisect" to narrow down exactly which change breaks things?  It should
> take more than a dozen or so tests.

Yes. Its a little bit difficult as I can only test kernels in the night and on
weekend.

First I have to see how to use git to get the repository and how to do git
bisect.

> NeilBrown

Thanks and regards,
--