Re: md RAID 10 on Linux 2.6.20?

thomas62186218@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I am running a home-grown Linux 2.6.20.11 SMP 64-bit build, and I am wondering if there is indeed a RAID 10 "personality" defined in md that can be implemented using mdadm. If so, is it available in 2.6.20.11, or is it in a later kernel version? In the past, to create RAID 10, I created RAID 1's and a RAID 0, so an 8 drive RAID 10 would actually consist of 5 md devices (four RAID 1's and one RAID 0). But if I could just use RAID 10 natively, and simply create one RAID 10, that would of course be better both in terms of management and probably performance I would guess. Is this possible?

Yes, and you are correct on the performance. Read the man page section on "near" and "far" copies of data carefully, and some back posts to this list. Most of us find that using far copies generates slightly slower write performance and significantly better read performance.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-