Re: Software raid - controller options

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 15:51 +1300, Richard Scobie wrote:
> Lyle Schlueter wrote:
>

> > Are there any 4+ port PCI-e SATA controllers cards?
>
> Hi Lyle,
>
> I've been doing a similar exercise here and have been looking at
> portmultiplier options using the Silicon Image 3124.
Is a port multiplier a decent option? I looked at the 3124 after you
mentioned it and a few of the other controllers offered by Silicon
Image.

I had been looking at the Adaptec 2240900-R PCI Express and HighPoint
RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express. These are both *raid* cards. But if they
can be used as a regular controller card, they both provide 4 SATA ports
and are PCI-e. But sounds like the RocketRAID doesn't work with the
2.6.22+ kernel (according to newegg reviewers). It sounds like the
Adaptec works quite nicely though.

> The other possibility is the Marvell based 8 port "dumb" SATA controller
> from Supermicro.
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AoC-SAT2-MV8.cfm
>
> It is PCI-X though, but there are plenty of boards around still with
> these slots.
>
> My only concern here is the opening comment in the driver:
>
> " 1) Needs a full errata audit for all chipsets.  I implemented most
>    of the errata workarounds found in the Marvell vendor driver, but
>    I distinctly remember a couple workarounds (one related to PCI-X)
>    are still needed."
Sounds pretty iffy there. That Adaptec card I mentioned is going for
about 100 USD. Seems like a lot for 4 ports. But sounds like it works
nicely with linux, and I would only need 1 or 2 of them (plus the 6 or 8
ports on the motherboard) to be able to use all 12 drives.

Do you know of any concerns of using all the ports on a motherboard?
Slowdowns or anything like that?

> Enquiries here previously have not found anyone using this card.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
> -

Thanks,