Re: Kernel Module - Raid

Paul VanGundy wrote:
> All,
>
> Hello. I don't know if this is the right place to post this issue but it
> does deal with RAID so I thought I would try.
It deals primarily with linux *software* raid.
But stick with it - you may end up doing that...

What hardware/distro etc are you using?
Is this an expensive (hundreds of £) card? Or an onboard/motherboard chipset?

Once you answer this then it may be worth suggesting using sw-raid (in which
case we can help out) or pointing you elsewhere...

> I successfully built a new kernel and am able to boot from it.
> However, I need to incorporate a specific RAID driver (adpahci.ko) so we
> can use the on-board RAID.
I think this is the adaptec proprietary code - in which case you may need a very
specific kernel to run it. You may find others on here who can help but you'll
probably need an Adaptec forum/list.

> I have the adpahci.ko and am unable to get
> it to compile against any other kernel because I don't have the original
> kernel module (adpahci.c I assume is what I need). Is there any way I
> can view the adpahci.ko and copy the contents to make a adpahci.c?
No

> Is it
> possible to get the kernel object to compile with another kernel only
> using the adpahci.ko?
No

> Am I making sense?  :)
Yes

That's one of the big reasons proprietary drivers suck on linux.

David

-