Re: Bad drive discovered during raid5 reshape

Neil Brown wrote:
> On Monday October 29, kstuart@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I bought two new hard drives to expand my raid array today and
>> unfortunately one of them appears to be bad. The problem didn't arise

> Looks like you are in real trouble.  Both the drives seem bad in some
> way.  If it was just sdc that was failing it would have picked up
> after the "-Af", but when it tried, sdb gave errors.

Humble enquiry.... :)

I'm not sure that's right?
He *removed* sdb and sdc when the failure occurred so sdc would indeed be non-fresh.

The key question I think is: will md continue to grow an array even if it enters
degraded mode during the grow?
ie grow from a 6 drive array to a 7-of-8 degraded array?

Technically I guess it should be able to.

In which case should he be able to re-add /dev/sdc and allow md to retry the
grow? (possibly losing some data due to the sdc staleness)

David

-