Re: Time to deprecate old RAID formats?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:41:56PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> * When using lilo to boot from a raid device, it automatically installs
> itself to the mbr, not to the partition.  This can not be changed.  Only
> 0.90 and 1.0 superblock types are supported because lilo doesn't
> understand the offset to the beginning of the fs otherwise.

Huh? I have several machines that boot with LILO and the root is on
RAID1. All install LILO to the boot sector of the mdX device (having
"boot=/dev/mdX" in lilo.conf), while the MBR is installed by
install-mbr. Since install-mbr has its own prompt that is displayed
before LILO's prompt on boot, I can be pretty sure that LILO did not
write anything to the MBR...

What you say is only true for "skewed" RAID setups, but I always
considered such a setup too risky for anything critical (not because of
LILO, but because of the increased administrative complexity).

Gabor