Re: Raid-10 mount at startup always has problem

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 16:12 +1000, Neil Brown wrote:

> > md: md0 stopped.
> > md: md0 stopped.
> > md: bind<sdc>
> > md: bind<sdd>
> > md: bind<sdb>
> > md: md0: raid array is not clean -- starting background reconstruction
> > raid10: raid set md0 active with 3 out of 4 devices
> > md: couldn't update array info. -22
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the most surprising line, and hence the one most likely to
> convey helpful information.
>
> This message is generated when a process calls "SET_ARRAY_INFO" on an
> array that is already running, and the changes implied by the new
> "array_info" are not supportable.
>
> The only way I can see this happening is if two copies of "mdadm" are
> running at exactly the same time and are both are trying to assemble
> the same array.  The first calls SET_ARRAY_INFO and assembles the
> (partial) array.  The second calls SET_ARRAY_INFO and gets this error.
> Not all devices are included because while when one mdadm when to
> look, at a device, the other has it locked and so the first just
> ignored it.

If mdadm copy A gets three of the devices, I wouldn't think mdadm copy B
would have been able to get enough devices to decide to even try and
assemble the array (assuming that once copy A locked the devices during
open, that it then held the devices until time to assemble the array).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at