RE: experiences with raid5: stripe_queue patches

On Tuesday October 16, pengxihan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> In my opinion, one
> of ways to increase raid5 performance may be to change STRIPE_SIZE to
> to a bigger value. It is now equal to PAGE_SIZE. But we can't just
> change it simply, some other codes must be modified. I havn't tried,:).
> Maybe Neil can give us some advices!

I really don't think increase STRIPE_SIZE would have much effect.  You
might save a bit of CPU (though it might cost you too) but it should
change the order of requests, so it wouldn't affect disk io much.

I really think this is a scheduling problem.  We need to make sure to
send the requests in the right order without delaying things
needlessly, and avoid reads when ever possible.

NeilBrown
-