Re: Different sized disks for RAID1+0 or RAID10.

Kelly Byrd wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:38:04 -0400, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Kelly Byrd wrote:
I've currently got a pair of identical drives in a RAID1 set for
my data partition. I'll be getting a pair of bigger drives in a
bit, and I was wondering if I could RAID1 those (of course) and
then RAID0 the two differently sized mds. Even better, will RAID10
let me do this?

RAID-10 will let you do this, read past threads of this list for
discussion of using the "far" option to gain performance.
I don't need to grow the current RAID1 into this new beast, I've
got a place I can copy the existing data so I can start from
scratch.

Doesn't the 'far' option trade write performance to gain read
performance? This is a desktop, not at all a "mostly read" type
workload.
Is your load not read-mostly? The things I want to have happen quickly are things like boot, start application, load a document, saved page, or man page, compile a kernel (that may not be typical), play an mp3 or video, load image(s) in gimp or similar, read mail... all things which feel faster if you favor read performance.

I think of it this way: most of the stuff I write is buffered by the system and I don't have to wait for it (unless it's huge). Most of the large stuff I read, as noted above, is stuff I wait for.

If you look at the times you have to wait for i/o, I bet you will decide a desktop is read-mostly after all.
I imagine the answer is: "sure RAID10 / RAID0 let's you do this,
but you don't get the striping performance benefit" for some of
the data", which would be ok with me until the smaller drives go
bad and I replace them.

Replacing the smaller drives could be an adventure if you plan to go to
larger replacement drives. I don't recall the issues involved with using
larger partitions and RAID-10, there's another issue for you to research.

Will do.

-

bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc