Re: raid5 growing question

Shane,

Please take the following with some suspicion.

I used raidreconf to add drives to an array, so I assume
the grow functionality can at least do the same.

I wonder: if you have less than 1TB of data then you can:
1 fail one 320GB disk (array now degraded!)
2 use the port to install 1x1TB as a degraded 2-disk RAID5
3 copy all the data across
4 remove the 5x320GB
5 install the other 2x1TB
	may need to resync the 2x before growing to 3x?
6 grow to 3x1TB RAID5

If you *do* have a spare port then in step 2 you can create
a degraded 3x1TB and step 6 is a simple resync when you add
the missing third disk. You can copy the full 1.6TB across
in this case.

Naturally, all this "degraded" means there is a real risk to
your data for a few hours, but you knew that.

However, when I do not have ports to play with I take the
slow solution and create the new RAID externally (using USB
or another computer over a net - there is always another
computer around for this job).

Good luck.

Eyal

Shane wrote:
Hello all,

I have a raid5 softraid array using 6x320GB SATA drives.  I
would like to reconfigure it to be 3x1tb SATA.  Is there a
way to do this using the grow feature of mdadm.  IE by
swapping 3 of the 320GB drives out for the 3 1TB drives
allowing the resyncs to occur between swapping and then
somehow tell mdadm to take the remaining three 320GB drives
out of the array or would I need to just create a new array
somehow, copy the data over and just shut the first array
right down?

Thanks,
Shane

--