Re[2]: raid5 - which disk failed ?

NB> Or maybe the drive is failing, but that is badly confusing the
NB> controller, with the same result.
NB> Is it always hde that is reporting errors?

for now - yes; but a few months ago for a short period of time hdg and
hdh also have been reported with errors, but this went away quickly
and never occured again.

NB> With PATA, it is fairly easy to make sure you have removed the correct
NB> drive, and names don't change.  hde is the 'master' on the 3rd
NB> channel.  Presumably the first channel of your controller card.

I know; what I meant was: I'd like to make sure that I remove the one
drive that md thinks is faulty - I want to avoid removing a healthy
drive, leaving md with one broken drive and two healthy ones which
isn't good for a raid5. but in this case, hde rather certainly is the
troublemaker.

NB> No, a faulty drive in a raid5 should not crash the whole server.  But
NB> a bad controller card or buggy driver for the controller could.

this seems to be the case here. guess its time to shop for a new
server.

tnx.

 Rainer Fuegenstein                              rfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx