RAID1 and load-balancing during read

Hello list,

I just created a RAID1 array consisting of two disks. After experiments with
processes *reading* from the device (badblocks, dd) and the iostat program, I
can see that only one disk is being utilised for reading. To be exact, every
time I execute the command one of the two disks is being randomly used, but
the other one has absolutely no activity.

My question is: why isn't load balancing happening? Is there an option I'm
missing? Until now I though it was the default for all RAID1 implementations.
Even md man page mentions in the RAID1 section:

  The driver attempts to distribute read requests across all devices to
maximise performance.

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris
-