Re: RAID 6 reshape failed (false message about critical section) - success report

Anton Voloshin wrote:
Dear Neil,

At the top of Grow_restart (in Grow.c), just put
	return 0;

That will definitely get you your array back.

Thank you for your help, I've got my array assembled, running, and all my
data back up!

But everything was not so smooth as I was (secretly) hoping originally.
Details follow.

After I first run ./mdadm --assemble /dev/md1
array actually assembled but with 6 drives out of 8. I don't know exact
reason why two partitions are missing, but attempts to add missing
partitions with
mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sda2
resulted in message that "/dev/sdc1 is locked" or something like that.
Partitions are there (fdisk -l /dev/sda supports that) and they are
present in /dev. I suspect that maybe udev was doing something wrong but I
don't know for sure. Missing partitions were ones from drives which are
used to run my root partition /dev/md0 - raid1 made of /dev/sda1 and
/dev/sdc1.
I thought I had replied to this, but I don't see the message, so I'll say it again in case it is helpful to others.

If you have a condition like this where a partition doesn't want to add, use "lsof" to look for things using it, and check the values in /proc/diskstats over a few minutes to see if something actually *is* using the partition. Attempting to force an add when some process or kernel thread is using a partition is a bad idea.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-