Re: recovery starts from 0 after reboot - normal?

Justin Piszcz schrieb:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

I built RAID-5 on a Debian Etch machine running 2.6.22.5 with this command:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=64 --level=raid5 --raid-devices=5 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1

After some time, it was synchronized just fine.

I removed one drive, put it back again, readded the drive to the array.

It started rebuilding.
However, if the rebuilding is not 100% done, and I reboot the machine, rebuilding starts from 0.

(...)

It should continue (at least that is what I have seen in the past), not sure if you need bitmaps or not (I dont use them).

I had the same issue, with 4 drive RAID-10, on another Debian box.

Perhaps, the bitmap is needed then? I guess by default, no internal bitmap is added?

# mdadm -X /dev/md0
        Filename : /dev/md0
           Magic : 00000000
mdadm: invalid bitmap magic 0x0, the bitmap file appears to be corrupted
         Version : 0
mdadm: unknown bitmap version 0, either the bitmap file is corrupted or you need to upgrade your tools

The fine manual says:

  BITMAP CHANGES
  A write-intent bitmap can be added to, or removed from, an active
  array. Either internal bitmaps, or bitmaps stored in a separate file
  can be added.

However, I'm not sure how to achieve it? How to add an internal bitmap to an array without a bitmap?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org