Re: SWAP file on a RAID-10 array possible?

This wouldn't be probably the best solution in my situation. The computer we
are talking about will be quad-core web server with 8GB RAM and initially
2x500GB SATA HDDs setup in a RAID-1 array. When it begins running low on
space or more HDDs performance is needed, I plan to convert the RAID-1 to
RAID-10 by adding 2-4 more hard disks (I've found some info on how to do
this so hopefully it will work).

If I should follow the commonly accepted strategy saying that the swap space
should be 2X+ the amount of RAM, that means 16GB. If I add 4 more HDDs in
RAID-1 pairs later, then I would end up with 3 swap partitions on RAID-1
taking 96GB (6*16GB) of space on the harddrives which would be a
considerable waste of space.

Sure, when adding the more hard disks I could probably create a smaller swap
partition on each of them but that would be yet another complication. Using
a swap file initally on the RAID-1 array and then on the RAID-10 array
sounds like a much simpler solution to me as it  will allow me to change the
size of the swap space more flexibly.

Tomas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Tokarev" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx>