To: "Tomas France" <tomfra@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: Is it possible to grow a RAID-10 array with mdadm?

On Monday July 30, tomfra@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the answer Neil!

>> The man page for mdadm does not mention it because it is not >> supported.
>> <<

It doesn't actually even mention the possibility to create a RAID-10 array (without creating RAID-0 on top of RAID-1 pairs), yet from the info I found, a lot of people have been using it for quite a while. Almost as if it was a
complete secret ;) As for the RAID-10 growing / layout change - I'd
absolutely love to see that implemented in the (hopefully near) future.
IMHO, RAID-10 is becoming very popular because of the falling hard drive
prices.

What version of mdadm do you have installed (the bottom of the man
page will tell you).
My v2.6.2 manpage mentions raid10 5 times, and "man md" mentions it 9
times.
If you have a recent mdadm and there was some particular place in the
man page were you were looking and didn't find raid10, please let me
know and I will try to improve that part of the documentation.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

-