Re: Software based SATA RAID-5 expandable arrays?

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 10:35:47 David Greaves wrote:
> Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > Why dontcha just cut all the "look how big my ePenis is" chatter and tell
> > us what you wanna do?
> > Nobody gives a rat if your ultra1337 sound cards needs a 10 megawatt
> > power supply.
>
> Chill Dexter.
>

> How many faults have you seen on this list attributed to poor PSUs?
> How many people whinge about the performance of their controllers/setups
> 'cos they find out _after_ they bought them just how naff they are?

A 750W supply doesn't increase server stability - that's what redundant PSUs
are for.
Plus: there are sh!tty 750W-PSUs otu there as well - numbers mean jack.

> Sure he went a bit OTT in the description - but if you'd rather see "Hey
> dudez, what do I need for a really quick server" then #linux is good :)
>
> He's clearly new to linux, (and granted, maybe a bit over-excited by
> hardware!) but give the guy a break.
>
> He very clearly told us what he wanted to do in the QUESTIONs bit.

Could have done right from the start instead of immersing
into  "Vista", "X-Fi" "8800" and "Radeon".

> And don't think too badly of Dexter, he's usually OK.

Guess I had a newbie overdose since migrating the desktop box to Kubuntu.

> David
>
> PS, Dex, I wonder who posted these noobie sounding question in April last
> year:
>
> I'm currently planning my first raid array.
> I intend to go for softraid (budget's the limiting factor), not sure about
> 5 or 6 yet.
>
> Plan so far: build a raid5 from 3 disks, later add a disk and reconf to
> raid6. Question: is that possible at all? Can a raid5 be reconfed to a
> raid6 with raidreconf?
> Next Question: how stable is it? Will I likely get away without making
> backups or is there like a 10% chance of failure?
> Other precautions advised?

Yes? What about that? All tech questions regarding file servers and raid
setups on Linux. Don't see how I go about how my Radeon makes the 10k barrier
in 3Dmark.

Nuff said.

--

http://www.stop1984.com