Re: very strange (maybe) raid1 testing results

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Richard Scobie wrote:

> Jon Nelson wrote:
>
> > I am getting 70-80MB/s read rates as reported via dstat, and 60-80MB/s as
> > reported by dd. What I don't understand is why just one disk is being used
> > here, instead of two or more. I tried different versions of metadata, and
> > using a bitmap makes no difference. I created the array with (allowing for
> > variations of bitmap and metadata version):
>
> This is normal for md RAID1. What you should find is that for
> concurrent reads, each read will be serviced by a different disk,
> until no. of reads = no. of drives.

Alright. To clarify, let's assume some process (like a single-threaded
webserver) using a raid1 to store content (who knows why, let's just say
it is), and also assume that the I/O load is 100% reads. Given that the
server does not fork (or create a thread) for each request, does that
mean that every single web request is essentially serviced from one
disk, always? What mechanism determines which disk actually services the
request?

--
Jon Nelson <jnelson-linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
-