Re: how to synchronize two devices (RAID-1, but not really?)

Neil Brown schrieb:

(...)

You will want to test this of course - I cannot guarantee that I have
that command exactly right.

If the remote device fails (link breaks) it should get marked faulty
in the array.  Once you have it working again you can use mdadm to
remove (--remove) and re-add (--re-add) the device.  It should
complete the copy correctly.   You should test that this actually
works as expected.
Feel free to ask questions if you choose to attempt this route.

Interesting lecture, thanks a lot. I'm gonna take that path.

I have one more question, though.

I want to migrate:
- from 4x400GB HDD RAID-10
- to 4x400GB HDD RAID-5

Obviously, I need 8 disks for that, but I have only 6.

So my idea was to kick one disk from RAID-10, and use it for RAID-5 for the time of migration.

This means, I would have only 3 disks out of 4 in RAID-5 array.

Is it possible to create a degraded, 4 disk RAID-5 array with just 3 drives? I would add the 4th drive once migration from RAID-10 is done.

(I'm aware of the risks - that my degraded RAID-10 will be "vulnerable" during the migration).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org