Re: how to synchronize two devices (RAID-1, but not really?)

Gordon Henderson schrieb:
On Tue, 15 May 2007, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

I have a RAID-10 setup of four 400 GB HDDs. As the data grows by several GBs a day, I want to migrate it somehow to RAID-5 on separate disks in a separate machine.

Which would be easy, if I didn't have to do it online, without stopping any services.

M1 - machine 1, RAID-10
M2 - machine 2, RAID-5

My first idea was to copy the data with rsync two or three times (because the files change, I would stop the services for the last run) - which turned out to be totally unrealistic - I started rsync process two days ago, and it still calculates files to be copied (over 100 million files, with hardlinks etc.).

I have recent experience of copying up to 1TB parititions to offsite backup servers via rsync (and a 10Mb line), and it can be done.

You do need a recent version of rsync and a lot of memory in both servers. I'm really surprised it takes days to do this on your server - although maybe the source server really is busy?

Yes, the server is really busy and reads/writes a lot - that's one. Two, it's being done over iSCSI in a pretty complicated scenario:

                    100 Mbit
M1 (RAID-10 storage) <--> very busy virtual machine in Xen
                           /
                          / 1 Gbit
                         /
     machine with rsync process <--> M2 (RAID-5 storage)
                               1 Gbit

So there is a slow point of just 100 Mbit to access the storage, which is normally fully filled anyway.

rsync, even 3.0, just doesn't fit here - it has to be done in sort of a "mirror" way.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
htp://wpkg.org