Recovery of software RAID5 using FC6 rescue?

Hello,

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this request if not please direct me to the correct one.

I have a system running FC6, 2.6.20-1.2925, software RAID5 and a power outage seems to have borked the file structure on the RAID.

Boot shows the following disks:
	sda #first disk in raid5: 250GB
	sdb #the boot disk: 80GB
	sdc #second disk in raid5: 250GB
	sdd #third disk in raid5: 250GB
	sde #fourth disk in raid5: 250GB

When I boot the system kernel panics with the following info displayed:
ata1.00: cd c8/00:08:e6:3e:13/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 4096 in
exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: (BMDMA stat 0x25)
ata1.00: cd c8/00:08:e6:3e:13/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 4096 in EXT3-fs error (device sda3) ext_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block
	-inode=8, block=1027
EXT3-fs: invalid journal inode
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: invalid argument
setuproot: moving /dev failed: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc:  no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys:  no such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: no such file of directory
Kernel panic - not synching: attempted to kil init!

At which point the system locks as expected.

Another perhaps not related tidbit is when viewing sda1 using (I think I did not write down the command) mdadm --misc --examine device I see (inpart) data describing the device in the array:

sda1 raid 4, total 4, active 4, working 4
and then a listing of disks sdc1, sdd1, sde1 all of which show

viewing the remaining disks in the list shows:
sdX1 raid 4, total 3, active 3, working 3

and then a listing of the disks with the first disk being shonw as removed. It seems that the other disks do not have a reference to sda1? That in itself is perplexing to me but I vaguely recall seeing that before - it has been awhile since I set the system up.

Anyway, I think the ext3-fs error is less an issue with the software raid and more an issue that fsck could fix. My problem is how to non- destructively mount the raid from the rescue disk so that I can run fsck on the raid. I do not think mounting and running fsck on the individual disks is the correct solution.

Some straight forward instructions (or a pointer to some) on doing this from the rescue prompt would be most useful. I have been searching the last couple evenings and have yet to find something I completely understand. I have little experience with software raid and mdadm and while this is an excellent opportunity to learn a bit (and I am) I would like to successfully recover my data in a more timely fashion rather than mess it up beyond recovery as the result of a dolt interpretation of a man page. The applications and data itself is replaceable - just time consuming as in days rather than what I hope, with proper instruction, will amount to an evening or two worth of work to mount the RAID and run fsck.

I appreciate your time and any assistance you may be able to provide. If the above is not sufficient let me know and I will try and get at more info.

regards and thank you,

-m

-