Re: raidtools to mdadm

i do not want to actually change any of the contents of these drives, just mount very simply as a raid0. the raid was originally created using an onboard nvidia raid on the motherboard these drives used to be hooked to. my friend thought he could shove them into another windows box (that is what he was running on them) and have windows recover the raid. all this did was totally destroy the superblock on one of the two drives. dmraid now wont see them as a matched pair so that is out. the actual data areas of both drives seems to be intact, but unless i can get them into raid0 i dont know how i can recover the data. it figures he gives me the drives after he makes it a notch or two more of a pain :\

I have friends like that too. ;-)

gotta love 'em

wish i was getting paid for this one

now before the advent of mdadm i would use /etc/raidtab and have no issues setting up the raid device. \

I haven't used raidtools for ages, but can't you bring yourself to using them now? I seem to remember that there was no superblock to be written in a bad place, which might be an advantage. mdadm has several versions which write the superblock in various places on the drives, and you may want "none of the above."

Alternatively, if these are fairly small, write a tiny program to open both physical devices, read a chunk from one, then the other, repeat while writing to something not hosed.

at the suggestion of another on the list (thanks neil brown!) i tried modprobing a slew of things related to the disk mapper to no avail, then i gave up using knoppix and tried with a fedora 6 box (after i dd-ed the drives off to a larger drive) and it worked great. i can definitely say that while mdadm is quite foreign territory for me, i love the fact i can specify everything i want to happen on one command line.

btw once i actually did get the drives raided it turns out that while the partition table was intact, somehow the partition itself was fubarred enough that i couldnt mount it to save my life. finally just told the guy "you screwed it by trying to recover it, next time bring me the drives the MOMENT you have a problem"

Casey

-