Re: mdadm file system type check

William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 12:30 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
It would be very awkward for mdadm to get at the partition type
information. And there is very little software that actually cares. mdadm
certainly doesn't care what the partition type is.

I got it reversed. :) There was an error when the file system was not
linux auto raid. More on that below.

I don't understand why you would have to 'start over'.  If you
discover that the partition type isn't what you want for some reason,
just change it.

It might have been that simple, it was quite some time ago. But it was a
memorable event since it stuck in my head as one of the things to check
when having problems with mdadm. But obviously not a clear memory.

This is the right place, thanks.

Good to know ;)

But maybe I don't really understand what the problem is.
Could you give more details?  Exactly what didn't work the way you
expected it to?

Instead of passing along an interpretation, here are some IRC log
snippets that pertain from #gentoo-dev @ freenode.net

kingtaco|work: livecd ~ # mdadm --create --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
kingtaco|work: mdadm: /dev/sda1 is too small: 0K
kingtaco|work: mdadm: create aborted

Now despite suggesting it pretty early on, it took a bit of time to
realize that error was existing only because of file system type. Once
he realized the problem and changed fs type. All was well, and he was
able to create the arrays and move on.
First, please learn the difference between file system type (user data ON the device), and partition type (a byte in the partition table). It will at least let people understand your question...

Second, mdadm cares not a bit about the partition type, although some init scripts might. The reason it didn't work was because the partition was zero size or missing, and would not work regardless of the partition type.
kingtaco|work: wltjr, see, raidtools would have let me create an array eventhough the type wasn't fs
kingtaco|work: er, fd
kingtaco|work: mdadm just isn't that smart
kingtaco|work: (and that fixed it)

So ot to sure about the error or why they would get that just because of
file system type.

If raidtools creates or resizes partitions, that's certainly not documented, nor is it in any way "smart," since it's guessing what you want to do and where you want to do it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-