Re: detecting/correcting _slightly_ flaky disks

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Michael Stumpf wrote:
This is the drive I think is most suspect. What isn't obvious, because it isn't listed in the self test log, is between #1 and #2 there was an aborted, hung test. The #4 short test that was aborted was also a hung test that I eventually, manually aborted--heard clicking from drives at that time, can't swear it was from this drive though.

Not sure I fully understand the nuances of this report. If anything jumps out at you, I'd appreciate a tip on how you read it. (to me, looks mostly healthy)

For what it's worth, if you are getting hung tests, either your drive or power supply should be redeployed as a paperweight. My opinion...

I don't disagree but I'd like to find something more concrete or repeatable, especially given that these give an audible click when failing. The problem I'm having is that I can't nail down precisely where the problem is, although your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

After running Justin's suggested badblocks test, I'm kind-of-disturbed to see that all these drives are passing with flying colors.

Firmware issue?  WD had it in the past.

-