Re: mismatch_cnt questions - how about raid10?

On Tuesday March 6, rabbit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > When we write to a raid1, the data is DMAed from memory out to each
> > device independently, so if the memory changes between the two (or
> > more) DMA operations, you will get inconsistency between the devices.
>
> Does this apply to raid 10 devices too? And in case of LVM if swap is on
> top of a LV which is a part of a VG which has a single PV as the raid
> array - will this happen as well? Or will the LVM layer take the data
> once and distribute exact copies of it to the PVs (in this case just the
> raid) effectively giving the raid array invariable data?

Yes, it applies to raid10 too.

I don't know the details of the inner workings of LVM, but I doubt it
will make a difference.  Copying the data in memory is just too costly
to do if it can be avoided.  With LVM and raid1/10 it can be avoided
with no significant cost.
With raid4/5/6, not copying into the cache can cause data corruption.
So we always copy.

NeilBrown
-