Re: Linux Software RAID Bitmap Question

On Tuesday February 27, davidsen@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > When md find a bad block (read failure) it either fixes it (by
> > successfully over-writing the correct date) or fails the drive.
> >
> > The count of the times that this has happened is available via
> >    /sys/block/mdX/md/errors
> >
> What kernel provides this? I have system running everything from 2.6.15
> to 2.6.20-get14, and there is no such file in any of them. There is a
> per-device errors file one level down, but that presumably wouldn't be
> in the superblock.

Sorry, I did get that wrong.  As you say it is a per-device field:
  /sys/block/mdX/md/dev-*/errors

which makes sense because it is individual devices that get errors,
not whole arrays.  And it *is* stored in the superblock for v1.  The
superblock has a per-device section which is potentially different on
each device,  The corrected-error count is stored there.

> Do I have to go from 0.90 to v1 or later superblocks to get this, and if
> so is that a safe thing to do?

It is not currently easy to convert a v0.90 array to use v1
superblocks.  I should put that on my todo list as it isn't
conceptually hard.

NeilBrown
-