Re: Changing chunk size

berk walker wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
On Thursday February 15, davidsen@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have determined that a large array was created with an overly-large chunk size. Best way to resize?

Dump and restore.

in-place reshapes (such as raid5 + 1 disk => raid6 or
change-chunk-size) are on my list of 'that might be interesting to
implement', but there are plenty of more interesting things.  And it
would be very slow.  It would need to copy some number of stripes to a
backup somewhere, then copy them back in the new layout, so every
block in the array would be written twice.
I'm sure "slow" is a relative term, compared to backing up TBs of data and trying to restore them. Not to mention the lack of inexpensive TB size backup media. That's totally unavailable at the moment, I'll live with what I have, thanks.

If you were to be a gambler, Bill - Get 2 disks big enough to store your data, create a RAID5 mising one, and copy over the data. Re do the original array, and copy back.
Yeah, $0.02 doesn't buy much anymore. Besides, you'll be needing bigger disks for the next machine you build,eh?

Not unless the project leader say so. He can send me a note on a capital expenses approval form ;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-